WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO GET STARTED IN OAKLAND
1. Business taxes are renewed on a calendar year basis.
2. Business start date is the first date your business started in Oakland.
3. Employee identification numbers are REQUIRED. Sole owners or partnerships are required to provide SSN #s for all owners/partners. LLC, Limited Partnership, Trust or Corporations are required to provide a FEIN or SEIN for the business.
4. LOCATION: Select INSIDE
if your business is located within Oakland city limits; otherwise, select OUTSIDE
. NOTE: If you select INSIDE
, you must also apply for a Zoning Clearance Permit with the Zoning office. For more information, visit: ZONING
5. Describe your business activity in detail under
6. CANNABIS-RELATED BUSINESSES: You must select either CANNABIS – MEDICAL
or CANNABIS – NON-MEDICAL
in the next window.
7. CA STATE LICENSED CONTRACTORS: If your business is based outside of Oakland, you must
declare the value of your Oakland job(s)/contract(s). If you are Oakland based, you must provide the estimated gross receipts for your first year in business.
8. RESIDENTIAL LANDLORDS: Indicate how many units are rented or available for rent.
9. NON-PROFIT BUSINESSES: Attach a copy of your non-profit letter of designation from either the Federal or State government before submitting your application.
10. DAYCARE BUSINESSES: If you are licensed by the State of CA for less than 14 children, attach a copy of the license before submitting your application.
11. Once your application is accepted and processed, you will receive an email verifying our receipt of your application, including the amount due and instructions on how to pay online.
Assembly Bill 3002 went into effect on January 1, 2019, which provides information regarding disability access requirements and resources to business owners. To read the full notice click here