GETTING STARTED IN OAKLAND, CA
To expedite applications, please carefully review below for REQUIRED information to be submitted with application.
• If business start date is in 2023: Submit estimated Gross Receipts, attributable to City of Oakland, from start date of business through December 31, 2023.
• If business start date is in 2022 or before: Submit gross receipts worksheet for prior calendar year(s). Download worksheet here.
SOLE OWNERS OR PARTNERSHIPS
• Social Security/Driver's License or Other ID Number for all owners/partners
LLC, LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, TRUST OR CORPORATIONS
• FEIN of the business
CALIFORNIA STATE LICENSED CONTRACTORS
• CSLB number and expiration date
• Total number of rental units
• Parcel number of rental property
• Upload grant deed or closing statement of rental property
• Upload non-profit letter of designation from Federal or State government
• If licensed by the State of California for less than 14 children, upload copy of license
$5.00/employee fee applicable to new and renewing businesses on or after Aug 1, 2021
• Oakland based businesses and non-profits only
• Applicable to total number of full and part time employees. Example: 3 full time employees and 4 part time employees, pay total of 7 employees
Assembly Bill 3002 effective Jan 1, 2019, provides information regarding disability access requirements and resources to business owners. For full notice click here
Senate Bill 205 effective Jan 1, 2020, requires regulated industrial businesses to provide the City of Oakland their Stormwater Permit Number (WDID #) prior to issuance of business license. General and detailed information regarding industry specific regulatory requirements click here
BUSINESS TAX INFORMATION
Business tax certificates are issued on a calendar year basis, Jan 1 - Dec 31. (Example: If an account is opened on Jul 1, it will expire on Dec 31 in the same year.)
Business tax renewal is due annually on or before March 1st.
Business Tax - First, Second, Third Certificate and Thereafter information click here
A renewal, delinquency or other notice or bill is not required to be sent by the City of Oakland and failure to send such notice or bill shall not affect the validity of any tax, penalty or interest due.
After the application is processed, an email will be sent with the amount due and instructions for paying online.
Before submitting a new business tax application, check if there is an existing account for the business here